Diet is the variety of food, in some cases require specific proportions, routinely consumed by an individual for nourishment. Hence, a person’s state of health heavily relies on their diet. A healthful dietary plan boosts a person’s holistic well-being, while an unhealthy one leads to chronic diseases, mental and emotional instability. The former must include ample sources of protein, fiber, unsaturated fats, carbohydrates, and other nutrients. According to the World Health Organization, it is recommended to gain healthy fats not more than 30% of the total calorie intake. Furthermore, maintaining a good diet will involve replacing processed food, products with high sodium, preservatives and sugar with whole food that is rich in vitamins and minerals.
Here, we’ll be comparing the two trendiest diets worldwide by highlighting its pros and cons to help you decide which dietary plan fits you most. Let’s start!
PALEO DIET VS VEGAN
The Caveman or Stone Age Diet, advocated by Dr. Walter L. Voegtin, believes that people should revive their ancestor’s diet during the Paleolithic era. The rule of thumb is “If our ancestors did not eat it, then don’t eat it. ” Hence, paleo diet does not support any processed food.
√ Allows grass-fed meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, honey, eggs, nuts, seeds, olive & coconut oil, etc.
χ Rejects food found during the agricultural era particularly wheat, dairy, grains, legumes, root vegetables (potatoes, yam, etc.), even salt, pasta, cakes, bread, soda, alcohol, coffee refined vegetable oils & sugar.
- NO CALORIE COUNTING, food proportion is nada;
- High protein and fiber but low in carbohydrates;
- Effective in weight-loss without the inconvenience of reducing calories;
- Lesser risk of acquiring diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure and heart diseases;
- Lastly, high in natural and healthy fats from pasture-fed livestock.
- Inadequacy of nutrients: Calcium, Vitamin D, Iron, Zinc, Riboflavin, & Thiamine;
- High risk of acquiring toxins from frequent fish consumption;
- Organic meat can be expensive in some markets;
- Constant meat consumption leads to increase in cholesterol;
- Drawback: Early humans during the Paleolithic era are scattered around the world with differing sources of food, thus, challenges the diet’s rationale of having a one and definite diet plan.
Veganism upholds the doctrine that animals are not ours to be used. The rule of thumb is “It condemns all food and byproducts that were produced through animal exploitation & cruelty.”
√ Allows fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, tofu, whole grains, seaweed, iodised salt, soya drinks, fermented and sprouted plant foods like miso and kimchi, etc.
χ Rejects all types of animal meat, eggs, dairy, seafood, honey, fish-derived omega-3 fatty acids, whey, gelatin, and other byproducts derived from animal origin.
- Improves blood sugar control and reduces risk of acquiring Type 2 Diabetes;
- Promotes lower body mass index and weight loss;
- High in fiber and low in total cholesterol;
- Bolsters a healthy heart and lowers the risk of cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Inadequacy of nutrients: Protein, Vitamin D & B12, Iodine, Iron, Calcium, & Zinc;
- Nutrient deficiency triggers headaches, dizziness, poor memory, exhaustion, and anemia;
- Fruits and vegetables are more expensive than processed foods in some markets, hence, it is encourage for vegans to have their own backyard vegetable gardens.
- Also, fewer meal options in non-vegan restaurants or places is a disadvantage.
Choosing between paleo or vegan actually depends on the person’s health priorities as well as availability of resources. Nevertheless, both requires conscientious planning to ensure that all nutrient inadequacies are compensated.
Below are some Amazon products that may help you in pursuing your
paleo diet or veganism:
- Pregnant women & breastfeeding mothers who want to follow either of the diets must seek doctor’s guidance first in order not to compromise the growth and development of babies.
- Parents who want their children to practice paleo or vegan diets must provide them sufficient alternative sources of energy and nutrients to support their daily activities.
- The transition to both diets is crucial and calls for immense body adjustments that can be challenging for some people. During this stage, commitment and discipline are the two most important values.
- Allergen information: some paleo and vegan friendly products contain allergens that few people must avoid. Read the ingredients carefully.
DID YOU KNOW?
The 2018 Trendiest Diets According to Forbes:
Ketogenic “Keto” Diet
Low carbohydrates, high healthy fat, and moderate in protein
“Eat like your ancestors”
Alkaline Dier aka Tom Brady’s Diet
Fights acidity and converting your body to alkaline state
Consumes whole food for 30 days
Instead of 12 hours fasting from dinner to the following days’ breakfast, 14 to 20 hours is suggested
Eat high on certain days then low carbs in the following days